The woman, who originally hails from Kerala, had bought a plot of land near Bikaner and had gone to inspect it when the incident took place
In a horrific case, a 28-year-old woman has alleged that she was gang-raped by “about 23 men” while she had gone to inspect a plot of land that she had purchased on the outskirts of Bikaner in Rajasthan.
The woman, however, reportedly told the magistrate while recording her statement that she had been raped by eight men- six of whom have now been arrested and sent to three days in judicial custody.
The incident occurred on September 25.
According to a report in the Indian Express, the rape survivor told that police that she owns a plot in Ridmalsar Purohitan, near Khatu Shyamji temple on the outskirts of Bikaner city. “After attending to the plot, at 2:30-3:00 pm, I was waiting on Jaipur road for a vehicle to go to Bikaner city when a camper approached me and two men got down. They asked where I was going and I said I’ve to go to Bikaner. They said that they can drop me off but I declined. However, they forced me into the camper while shutting my mouth with their hands,” the Indian Express said, quoting the police complaint filed by the woman.
The complaint adds that the woman was taken to Palana locality through an unmetalled road where the duo took turns to rape her. The two men then called six more persons, who also raped the woman after which she allegedly has taken to an “office building” where more men raped her.
The rape survivor claims that at around 4 am on September 26, she was dumped near the spot from where she had been abducted.
Bikaner’s superintendent of police, Sawai Singh Godara told media persons that the woman, a resident of Delhi, originally hails from Kerala and has a bangle business. The SP said that the rape survivor used to regularly visit Bikaner due to requirements of her business and also to attend to the plot that she had purchased in the city.
The SP said that two of the accused – identified as Subhash and Raju – leveled counter allegations on the rape survivor, claiming that she was actually a sex worker. The two accused, says Godara, have told the police that the woman had been engaged by them through a tout but six other men allegedly forced themselves on her which prompted her to file a police complaint alleging gang-rape. The SP said that the police are trying to verify claims made by the rape survivor and the accused while a manhunt had been launched for the alleged tout and the remaining accused who are yet to be identified.