PAN card without Aadhaar number would not be treated invalid
In the much awaited order on Aadhaar Card case the Supreme Court on June 9 stayed the government’s order to make Aadhar card mandatory for obtaining PAN card and said it can’t be made mandatory for filing Income Tax returns. However, the court added that “Those who have Aadhar card must provide its details while filing IT returns,”said SC.
The bench was comprised of Justices A K Sikri and Ashok Bhushan.
Earlier, the government had informed the SC that the PAN will be invalid from July 1 and not from when a person had applied for it if a user does not link her Aadhaar card details.
However on this, the court said that the PAN card without Aadhaar number would not be treated as invalid till the Constitution bench decides the larger issue of Right to Privacy.
The court further directed the government to take appropriate measures to ensure that there is no leakage of data from the Aadhaar scheme.
“…the government to take proper and appropriate steps and the scheme in this regard has to be devised at the earliest till confidence among the citizens that the data would not be leaked,” the court said.
According to reports, citizens had to face several issues in linking Aadhar card with PAN card for getting registered under various government schemes and policies as both the cards have distinct details. Here is a simple guide to link Aadhaar with PAN to avoid tribulations in future:
- Log in to the e-Filing portal of the Income Tax Department by entering the log-in ID, password and date of birth
- After punching in the details, feed in a code
- On logging in to the site, a pop up window will appear, prompting to link PAN card with Aadhaar card
- If not, go to Profile setting and opt the “Link Adhaar” button
- Punch in the details such as name, date of birth and gender which were already mentioned during registration on the e-Filing portal
- Verify the details on screen with the ones mentioned
in the Aadhaar card
- If the details match, enter the Aadhaar card number and click on the “link now” button
- A message will automatically come on the screen that your Aadhaar card has been successfully linked to your PAN card