The Supreme Court on Wednesday, September 19, ordered the resumption of filing of claims and objections by around 40 lakh persons who were left out in the draft Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC).
A bench of Justices Ranjan Gogoi and R F Nariman said the filing of claims would begin on September 25 and will go on for next 60 days.
“We are of the view that all that which we are required to do at this stage is to open the filing of claims and objections with regard to inclusion in the draft NRC published in July this year,” said the Bench, which posted the matter for hearing on October 23.
It also made clear that the second opportunity has been granted to the citizens keeping in mind the “magnitude” of the issue.
The court has sought the view of Prateek Hajela, coordinator of Assam NRC, on the stance of the central government with regard to applicability and non-applicability of certain documents for inclusion of names in the NRC.
The second and final draft of the NRC, published on July 30, included 2.89 crore of the 3.29 crore applicants, leaving out names of 40.07 lakh applicants in the historic document, touted to be a proof of Assamese identity.
The NRC will include the names of all Indian citizens who have been residing in Assam before March 25, 1971
The bench has approved a list of 10 documents that those excluded from the July draft of the NRC can use for filing their claims and objections. These documents are as follows:
- Land documents like Registered Sale Deed, Records of land rights up to March 24, 1971 (midnight)
- Permanent Residential Certificate issued from outside the State up to March 24, 1971 (midnight)
- Passport issued by the Government of India up to March 24, 1971 (midnight)
- Life Insurance Corporation of India Insurance Policy (LICI) of relevant period up to March 24, 1971 (midnight)
- Any licence/certificate issued by any government authority of relevant period i.e. up to March 24, 1971 (midnight)
- Document showing service/employment under Government/Public Sector undertaking up to March 24, 1971 (midnight)
- Bank/Post Office Accounts of relevant period i.e. up to March 24, 1971 (midnight)
- Birth certificates issued by the competent authority up to March 24, 1971 (midnight)
- Educational certificate issued by Board/Universities up to March 24, 1971 (midnight)
- Records/processes pertaining to court up to March 24, 1971 (midnight) provided they are part of a processing in a judicial or revenue court
The court will next hear the case on October 23.