On Wednesday, August 28, the officials said, “Gunmen burst into a Mexican strip club in a hail of bullets and killed at least 26 people as they trapped revelers inside and started a raging fire.”
President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador condemned the “shameful” attack in the city of Coatzacoalcos, and said that federal authorities would investigate based on the evidence. It may have stemmed from collusion between local authorities and organized crime.
The Tuesday night attack on the Caballo Blanco Bar (White Horse), has also left 11 people badly wounded. According to the survivors the attackers arrived in several vehicles with rifles and pistols. First they threatened the security guards and then took control of the main entrance.
The pounding music inside was so loud that many patrons and dancers didn’t even notice the attack until the bar was in flames. Many of the victims died of smoke inhalation. The interior was wrecked and charred. The naked body of a woman who had been mid-routine was sprawled on the dance floor.
The authorities had identified one of the attackers as Ricardo “N”. The suspect was arrested previously last month but was released by state prosecutors within 48 hours. President Lopez said that federal authorities would investigate why he got released so early.
Mexico, the chief supplier of narcotics to the United States, has been hit by a wave of violence since declaring war on drugs and deploying the army to fight its powerful cartels in 2006. Since then, more than 250,000 people have been murdered, including a record 33,753 last year.