First 2+2 meeting brought two countries closer
India and US have signed an agreement known as Communications, Compatibility, Security Agreement (Comcasa) at the end of the “2+2” talks between the external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj and defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman with their US counterparts Micheal Pompeo and James Mattis in New Delhi on Thursday.
The key defense pact will allow the militaries of the two countries to securely communicate with each other. It is believed that this agreement could reduce the chances of the US imposing sanctions on India for looking to buy Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile systems.
Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said, “In today’s meeting, we reaffirmed to cooperate in every possible way to ensure peace, prosperity and development.
On the other side, US Secretary of State Micheal Pompeo said, “We fully support India’s rise as a leading global power.”
At the start of today’s talks, Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj said she was confident the outcome of the talks will help unleash the untapped potential of the relationship between the two countries and further elevate the level of engagement.
US Secretary of State Micheal Pompeo said that both sides should continue to ensure freedom of the seas and work towards peaceful resolutions of territorial and maritime disputes. This is an obvious reference to China’s expansionist behavior in the South China Sea.
Meanwhile Raveesh Kumar, spokesperson of Ministry of External Affairs, in his tweet, said;
First-ever India-United States 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue begins! Reflection of our shared commitment to provide a positive, forward-looking vision to our strategic partnership and our growing convergence on important issues. @SushmaSwaraj pic.twitter.com/EDv6nOjX7g— Raveesh Kumar (@MEAIndia) September 6, 2018
In another tweet Raveesh Kumar said:
Promoting synergy in our diplomatic and security efforts! EAM @SushmaSwaraj, US Secretary of State @SecPompeo, Raksha Mantri @nsitharaman and US Secretary of Defence James Mattis pose for a group photograph before the inaugural 2 + 2 Dialogue in New Delhi. pic.twitter.com/ByCh2i50Kw— Raveesh Kumar (@MEAIndia) September 6, 2018
US Secretary of State Micheal Pompeo and Defence Secretary James Mattis arrived in New Delhi on Wednesday for the inaugural Indi-US two-plus-two talks which was finalized during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s US visit last year.