Amnesty International condemns the move
Unheeded with earlier criticism for his travel ban on the citizens of five Muslim dominated countries, US President Donald Trump has, on Sunday evening, extended travel ban on the citizens from three more countries: North Korea, Venezuela and Chad.
Earlier this year, Trump administration slapped travel ban on Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia and Sudan. However restrictions on Sudan were later lifted. Now people from eight countries face travel restrictions to the US.
Iraqi citizens will not be subject to travel prohibitions but will face more security clearance.
“Making America Safe is my number one priority. We will not admit those into our country we cannot safely vet,” the president said in a tweet.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International USA has condemned the measures saying, “Just because the original ban was especially outrageous does not mean we should stand for yet another version of government-sanctioned discrimination.”
“It is senseless and cruel to ban whole nationalities of people who are often fleeing the very same violence that the US government wishes to keep out. This must not be normalized.” The statement said.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) considers the expansion of list by three more countries as eyewash. It said that the addition of North Korea and Venezuela “doesn’t obfuscate the real fact that the administration’s order is still a Muslim ban.” However the administration officials have described addition of two more countries to Trump’s travel restrictions as the result of a purely objective review.
According to CNBC, the white House portrayed the restrictions as consequences for countries that did not meet new requirements for vetting of immigrants and issuing of visas. The requirements were shared in July with foreign governments, which had 50 days to make improvements if needed.
The report further says that a number of countries made improvements by enhancing the security of travel documents or the reporting of passports that were lost or stolen. Others did not, sparking the restrictions.
The new announcement on travel ban on Sunday seemed more organized than Trump’s first travel ban which was unveiled with little warning and sparked protests at airports worldwide. Several US citizens having origin in the countries facing travel ban were stranded at various US airports while returning from visits to their relatives and immediate relatives.
Some of the critics believe that Trump administration was more sensible to its political or commercial considerations rather than the real national security issues.
Saudi Arabia was spared from the travel ban despite the fact that fifteen out of 19 men affiliated to al-Qaeda involved in 9/11 terror attacks were Saudi citizens. Instead, President Donald Trump chose Saudi Arabia for his maiden foreign trip where he sealed weapons deal worth nearly $ 110 billion.