Army Chief General MM Naravane on Saturday said situation along India’s borders with China is under control. Skirmishes and incursions by Chinese helicopters in Ladakh’s Pangong Lake region in early May led to an escalation of tension between the two countries.
The army chief said that series of meetings between senior military commanders of India and China have resulted in disengagement that will rest all perceived differences between both the countries.
“I would like to assure everyone that the entire situation along our borders with China is under control. We’re having a series of talks which started with Corps Commander level and has been followed up with meetings at local levels between commanders of equivalent ranks,” General Naravane told a news agency.
“As a result, a lot of disengagement has taken place and we are hopeful that through the continued dialogue we’re having, all perceived differences that we (India and China) have will be set to rest,” the general added.
The Chinese foreign ministry has also said both the countries had agreed to work to maintain peace along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and resolve the standoff through talks. On Friday the two sides held further talks – this time at the Major General-level – to resolve the stand-off. This was the fifth round of talks since May standoff.
Earlier this week Indian and Chinese troops had begun mutual disengagement in some parts of eastern Ladakh. A “significant” number of Chinese troops had pulled back by three kilometres and India too pulled back some of its troops too.