A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on Wednesday acquitted all 32 accused in the Babri Masjid demolition case including senior BJP leaders LK Advani, MM Joshi, Uma Bharati and Kalyan Singh. CBI judge Surendra Kumar Yadav said the Babri Masjid demolition was not pre-planned and the accused only tried to stop anti-social elements from demolishing the mosque. He said the CBI had been unable to prove charges against the accused.
The much-awaited verdict on the demolition in Ayodhya on December 6, 1992 has finally been delivered today after 27 years. The 1992 demolition was preceded by a series of rath yatras by the BJP’s LK Advani. The event sparked communal riots in Uttar Pradesh and the rest of the country, claiming 3,000 lives.
Though CBI judge Yadav had directed all 32 accused to be present for the verdict, none of the high-profile accused were present. LK Advani, 92, and MM Joshi, 86, were exempted from attending the court on health grounds. Uma Bharati had contracted coronavirus and Kalyan Singh is recuperating from the disease. All four leaders appeared through video conferencing.
Vinay Katiyar, Dharamdas, Ram Vilas Vedanti, Lallu Singh, Champat Rai, Sakshi Maharaj, Sadhvi Rithambara and Pawan Pandey were among the accused who will be in the court today.
Ahead of the court verdict on the Babri Masjid demolition case, Uttar Pradesh has been put on high alert. More than 2,000 police personnel, half of them in civil clothes, have been deployed to ensure the security of the area, reports said.
In November last year, the Supreme Court had given its verdict in the Babri Masjid title suit to the Hindu parties while allotting a 5-acre plot to the Muslim parties. The apex court had condemned the demolition as a criminal act.