The Delhi Police has filed 38 of the 53 murder cases registered after the riots in Northeast Delhi in February 2020 and the arguments in 17 cases have begun in the court.
The Indian Express reported that 44 families have received the compensation from the state, while 12 families left their residence following the riots.
Commulnal violence in Northeast Delhi erupted between February 24 and 26 in 2020 that claimed lives of 53 people and left 500 injured. Public property worth crores was vandalised during the riots. The destruction was to an extent that several families had to move to temporary camps for months following the violence.
Reports said a total of 755 cases were registered, of which 400 have been solved, chargesheets and supplementary chargesheets have been filed in 342. So far 1,753 people have been arrested — 933 Muslims and 820 Hindus.
Sixty-two cases, including the 53 murders, are being handled by three SITs of the Crime Branch. An officer said 46 of these cases have been solved. An officer said the three SITs have arrested 390 people — 178 Hindus and 212 Muslims in connection with the riots. The Special Cell, probing the larger conspiracy case, has arrested 21 people — 19 Muslims and two Hindus.
A total of 1,753 people have been arrested, out of which 1,204 are in judicial custody and 544 have been released on bail. 1,553 accused have been chargesheeted and 200 are yet to be chargesheeted, an officer said.
Police said they heavily relied on credible, material, scientific evidence and CCTV footage” to solve the cases. Most of the accused who have been arrested on the charge of murder were not directly involved in murder cases but were part of the mob where the murder took place, the officer said.