The much-awaited ‘dark mode’ is finally rolled out on WhatsApp for Android users. WhatsApp, now owned by Facebook, has not released the stable update of the ‘dark mode’ but it is now made available for the beta testers.
The home screen and the settings menu are now clad in a dark colour, but in the chat interface only the text bubbles are dark while the background reflects any colour users have set as background.
As the dark theme is only available for beta testers, it is still unknown on when WhatsApp will roll the stable version for all users.
Dark mode in WhatsApp comes with the new v2.20.13 update on Google Play Store.
Here is how to enable dark mode if you are beta tester;
Follow these steps to activate the new theme. The dark mode helps save battery on OLED screen phones.
- Download the latest WhatsApp beta update and open the app.
- Once you open the app, tap on the three-dot menu icon at the top right corner of the screen and select “Settings” from the menu.
- Once on the Settings page, tap on “Chats”, and then tap on “Theme”.
- This will show you options to choose themes.
- Tap on “Dark” and it will enable the dark mode interface across the app.
- You can select the “System default” option to automatically switch between dark and light mode based on system settings.