Stepping up efforts to de-escalate the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh, India and China will start a fresh round of military talks on June 6, bringing senior commanders to the table. It is believed that a meeting between Major General-level officers from both armies had taken place Tuesday, where the Indian side was represented by the GOC of Leh-based 3 Mountain Division.
Army sources indicated this even as Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said he had been informed about the talks, and that the Chinese presence along the LAC was in sizeable numbers. The next meeting, sources said, will be between Lt General-level officers from both sides, with the Indian delegation being led by the Corps Commander of the Leh-based XIV Corps.
In a related development Prime Minister Narendra Modi discussed the tense situation on the Sino-Indian border in a telephonic conversation with United States President Donald Trump on Tuesday evening. This follows a controversy last week when President Trump had claimed that an “unhappy” PM Modi had spoken to him about the same issue but
as it turned out, no such conversation had taken place then.
By bringing Generals to the table, India and China are indicating their willingness to agree to disengage. The situation in Ladakh is different from Doklam, and a lot depends on how Generals on the ground and diplomats working the lines with Beijing negotiate an agreement to de-escalate.
On the situation in Ladakh, Singh said the problem stems from the different LAC claims of the two sides. Singh said India and China “have a mechanism to solve the problem and
we are working as per that mechanism. What can be better if it can be resolved through talks. The two major areas where the Indian and Chinese soldiers are deployed in strength on the LAC in eastern Ladakh are in Pangong Tso and the Galwan Nala.