English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Delhi AQI in severe category again, unlikely to improve over weekend

The national capital has registered eight severe air quality days so far this month, when the AQI has been over 400

Published

on

The national capital’s air quality on Friday morning touched the severe category after being in the very poor category for six consecutive days until Thursday. Reports said that Delhi’s air quality index (AQI) at 7.05 am on Friday stood at 401 (severe).

Notably, this is a deviation from the forecasts on Thursday, which had indicated that Delhi’s Air Quality Index was expected to remain very poor on Friday, and possibly touching severe only on Saturday. The Early Warning System (EWS) for Delhi, which is a forecasting model used by CAQM in the National Capital Region, predicted that the national capital’s air quality is likely to remain very poor again on Sunday. 

Earlier on Thursday, the AQI had marginally improved in comparison to Wednesday as dipping temperature and calm winds at night provided no respite to the capital. The capital’s 24-hour average air quality index (AQI) was recorded at 390 (very poor), according to Central Pollution Control Board’s national bulletin at 4 pm on Thursday, with it recorded at 395 (very poor) at the same time on Wednesday.

Reportedly, an AQI of 51 to 100 is classified as satisfactory, between 101 and 200 is classified as moderate, between 201 and 300 is classified as poor, between 301 and 400 is classified as very poor and more than 400 is severe by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB).

Though the national capital has registered eight severe air quality days so far this month, when the AQI has been over 400, it has been on the brink of severe 390 or higher on another six days, making it 14 such days with an AQI of 390 or higher. Notably, this is the highest tally of such days in November in the last eight years, with the previous high of 13 such days coming in November 2021.

In 2022, Delhi recorded three such days, nine in 2020, eight each in 2019 and 2018, seven in 2017, 11 in 2016 and seven in 2015.

India News

BJP attacks Rahul Gandhi over traitor remark against PM Modi, Amit Shah

Published

on

Rahul-Gandhi

Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi triggered a sharp political controversy on Wednesday after calling Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Home Minister Amit Shah and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh “traitors” during an address to Congress workers in Uttar Pradesh’s Rae Bareli.

The remarks drew an immediate backlash from the Bharatiya Janata Party, with several leaders accusing the Congress MP of using “the language of terrorists” and attempting to insult democratic institutions.

According to reports, Rahul Gandhi told party workers that when RSS members speak about PM Modi and Amit Shah, they should respond by saying, “Your Prime Minister is a traitor, your home minister is a traitor, your organisation is a traitor.” He further alleged that the ruling establishment had “worked to sell out India” and attacked the Constitution as well as the ideals of Dr BR Ambedkar and Mahatma Gandhi.

The Congress leader made the remarks while addressing workers in Rae Bareli, his parliamentary constituency in Uttar Pradesh. His comments quickly became the centre of a heated political exchange between the BJP and Congress.

BJP leaders strongly condemned the statement, saying Rahul Gandhi’s comments crossed democratic boundaries. Party leaders claimed his language echoed narratives used by hostile elements against India and accused him of targeting the Indian state for political gains.

The controversy intensified further after Rahul Gandhi also criticised PM Modi over a viral video showing the Prime Minister gifting a packet of “Melody” candy to Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni during his visit to Rome. Gandhi reportedly mocked the gesture amid ongoing political debates over economic and governance issues.

The latest exchange adds to the escalating war of words between the BJP and Congress ahead of key political battles in several states and the broader national political contest. Political tensions between the two parties have intensified in recent weeks over issues ranging from governance and foreign visits to economic concerns and constitutional debates.

Continue Reading

India News

Meta to eliminate 8,000 jobs in major restructuring shift

A major controversy has erupted after Norway’s largest newspaper published a cartoon depicting PM Narendra Modi as a snake charmer, drawing widespread allegations of racism and a colonial mindset.

Published

on

In an effort to streamline operations and aggressively fund its pivot toward artificial intelligence, Meta Platforms has announced a fresh round of workforce reductions. The corporate decision will impact approximately 8,000 employees globally, translating to nearly 10 per cent of its total workforce. In addition to the workforce downsizing, the technology giant will also eliminate 6,000 currently open job positions across various teams.

Strategic reallocation toward advanced technology

According to an internal memo sent to staff by Chief People Officer Janelle Gale, the workforce adjustments are scheduled to take effect from May 20. Gale acknowledged that the announcement brings unwelcome news and places teams in an uneasy position, but maintained that the choice represents the best path forward given the company’s current operational demands. The organizational overhaul comes as the parent company of Facebook and Instagram drastically increases its capital expenditure to support high-cost AI infrastructure, models, and specialized technical talent.

The tech major has actively adjusted its spending trajectory, with projections for the current financial year mounting significantly to fund developments such as specialized data centers, high-performance automated software, and compensation packages intended to capture top-tier industry experts. Media reports indicate that the company is looking to build smaller, more agile product development structures that utilize advanced computing tools to achieve output targets traditionally requiring much larger operational divisions.

Corporate focus shifts to lean operations

Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg has previously emphasized that advanced digital tools are altering internal production cycles, allowing smaller engineering units to deliver applications in shorter timeframes. While leadership maintains that automation is intended to enhance worker output rather than entirely swap out human professionals, the sheer scale of the restructuring has triggered broader anxieties regarding corporate workforce security across the silicon landscape.

For the affected workforce in the United States, the organization has laid out a severance structure offering 16 weeks of base compensation alongside an additional two weeks of pay for every completed year of service. The company will also sustain health coverage for eligible workers and their dependents for a span of 18 months. For professionals impacted in international jurisdictions, severance support is expected to align with regional legal guidelines alongside dedicated immigration and career placement guidance. Finance Chief Susan Li noted that the enterprise continues to evaluate its optimal structural size as new technological implementation rapidly transforms the capacity and daily output expected from single personnel units.

Continue Reading

India News

Mamata Banerjee says BJP will be removed from Centre in coming days

Published

on

mamta banerjee

West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday launched a sharp attack on the BJP-led central government, saying the party “will be removed from power in Delhi in the coming days” following the Trinamool Congress’s defeat in the 2026 West Bengal Assembly elections.

According to reports, Mamata Banerjee made the remarks during a meeting with TMC MLAs and senior party leaders at her Kalighat residence in Kolkata. She reportedly urged party workers not to lose morale and asked them to continue strengthening the organisation at the grassroots level.

The statement comes days after the BJP secured a historic victory in West Bengal, ending the Trinamool Congress’s long rule in the state. Senior BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari recently took oath as West Bengal’s first BJP chief minister after the party won a clear majority in the Assembly elections.

During the meeting, Mamata Banerjee also reportedly accused the BJP of using pressure politics and “bulldozer culture” against opposition parties. She signalled that the TMC would continue to oppose the BJP aggressively at the national level despite losing power in Bengal.

The political atmosphere in West Bengal has remained tense after the election results. Several TMC leaders have questioned different aspects of the polls, while the BJP has dismissed the allegations and described the result as a mandate for political change in the state.

The BJP’s victory marked a major political shift in Bengal politics. After years of emerging as the principal opposition force, the party finally crossed the majority mark in the 2026 Assembly election and formed the government in the state.

Political observers believe Mamata Banerjee’s latest remarks are aimed at keeping opposition unity alive nationally while the Trinamool Congress focuses on rebuilding its organisation in West Bengal after the electoral defeat.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com