English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Spike in cases in Tamil Nadu raises concern.

Tamil Nadu has been adding to its Coronavirus numbers at a very fast pace, its number has nearly doubled in the last one week, from 2058 to 4058. The state reported over 500 new cases on each of the last two days and was the single biggest contributor to the national numbers after Maharashtra.

Published

on

new_covid-19_cases

For the last few days, Tamil Nadu has been adding to its Coronavirus numbers at a very fast pace, its number has nearly doubled in the last one week, from 2058 to 4058. The state reported over 500 new cases on each of the last two days and was the single biggest contributor to the national numbers after Maharashtra.

Unlike some other states like Punjab or West Bengal, where the sudden surge in the numbers in recent days could be attributed to specific reasons, it is not clear what is causing the rise in numbers in Tamil Nadu. After all, the number of new cases were increasing at a much more modest rate in Tamil Nadu earlier. Its previous doubling had taken 17 days.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami said that higher number of testing led to an increased number of Covid-19 cases in the state, asserting that high population density, narrow lanes and use of public toilets made Chennai a challenge in cluster containment

The chief minister’s comments came a day after the state saw its highest-ever jump so far with 527 positive cases. Chennai itself recorded 279 fresh cases on Tuesday and the tally rose to over 2,000.

India News

Mamata Banerjee says BJP will be removed from Centre in coming days

Published

on

mamta banerjee

West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday launched a sharp attack on the BJP-led central government, saying the party “will be removed from power in Delhi in the coming days” following the Trinamool Congress’s defeat in the 2026 West Bengal Assembly elections.

According to reports, Mamata Banerjee made the remarks during a meeting with TMC MLAs and senior party leaders at her Kalighat residence in Kolkata. She reportedly urged party workers not to lose morale and asked them to continue strengthening the organisation at the grassroots level.

The statement comes days after the BJP secured a historic victory in West Bengal, ending the Trinamool Congress’s long rule in the state. Senior BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari recently took oath as West Bengal’s first BJP chief minister after the party won a clear majority in the Assembly elections.

During the meeting, Mamata Banerjee also reportedly accused the BJP of using pressure politics and “bulldozer culture” against opposition parties. She signalled that the TMC would continue to oppose the BJP aggressively at the national level despite losing power in Bengal.

The political atmosphere in West Bengal has remained tense after the election results. Several TMC leaders have questioned different aspects of the polls, while the BJP has dismissed the allegations and described the result as a mandate for political change in the state.

The BJP’s victory marked a major political shift in Bengal politics. After years of emerging as the principal opposition force, the party finally crossed the majority mark in the 2026 Assembly election and formed the government in the state.

Political observers believe Mamata Banerjee’s latest remarks are aimed at keeping opposition unity alive nationally while the Trinamool Congress focuses on rebuilding its organisation in West Bengal after the electoral defeat.

Continue Reading

India News

Over 2,000 trucks stranded on Manipur’s NH-2 as Kuki and Naga blockades continue

Rival blockades by Kuki and Naga groups have disrupted movement on Manipur’s NH-2, leaving thousands of trucks stranded and affecting essential supplies.

Published

on

Thousands of trucks remained stranded along National Highway-2 in Manipur as rival blockades and shutdowns by Kuki and Naga organisations continued, severely affecting the movement of essential supplies and passenger vehicles across the state.

The crisis follows tensions triggered by the May 13 ambush incident in the hill districts, which led to allegations of abduction and detention from both communities. The parallel protests have disrupted transport on NH-2, considered one of Manipur’s key lifelines connecting the state with Nagaland.

The United Naga Council announced an inter-district economic blockade in Naga-inhabited areas, claiming that several Naga civilians, including pastors, are still missing despite search operations and repeated appeals to authorities.

At the same time, Kuki Inpi Manipur extended its shutdown for another 48 hours, alleging that the government had failed to rescue missing Kuki persons reportedly taken hostage in Senapati district.

The prolonged blockade has caused major hardship for truck drivers and passengers stranded on the highway, with reports of shortages of food, drinking water and other essentials. Local residents, Assam Rifles personnel and transport unions have been assisting stranded travellers with relief materials.

Officials said security forces have intensified search and domination operations in vulnerable areas of Churachandpur and Kangpokpi districts following intelligence inputs regarding militant movement. Surveillance and combing operations have also been stepped up in sensitive hill regions to restore normalcy.

Authorities earlier stated that over 38 people were initially reported missing after the violence, though 32 individuals have since returned safely. Efforts are continuing to trace those who are still unaccounted for.

Continue Reading

India News

Border fencing: Bengal government clears land proposals to strengthen India-Bangladesh boundary

The new Bengal government has approved long-pending land proposals for border fencing and highway projects aimed at improving security and regional connectivity.

Published

on

The new government in West Bengal has approved several pending land proposals linked to border security and infrastructure development along the India-Bangladesh border. The decision comes weeks after the BJP-led administration under Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari assumed office in the state.

According to reports, the state cabinet has decided to release more than 600 acres of land for fencing work across border districts. Officials said the move is aimed at strengthening security along the nearly 2,200-km India-Bangladesh border in West Bengal, where fencing work on several stretches had remained incomplete.

Sources said around 1,600 km of the border is already fenced, while work on the remaining stretches had faced delays over land acquisition and administrative clearances during the previous Trinamool Congress government led by Mamata Banerjee.

The state government has also reportedly approved the transfer of nearly 120 acres near the strategically important Siliguri Corridor, commonly known as the “Chicken’s Neck” area, to strengthen national security infrastructure in North Bengal.

Apart from border-related projects, the Bengal cabinet has cleared the handover of seven highway stretches to the National Highways Authority of India and the National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited for development work. Officials said the projects had been pending for nearly a year due to the absence of formal approvals.

The highway projects are expected to improve connectivity across North Bengal and border districts including Malda, Murshidabad, Nadia and North 24 Parganas. The upgraded routes are also likely to strengthen links with Sikkim, Bhutan and Bangladesh.

The decision is expected to formally take effect after agreements are signed between the state government and the Border Security Force in the coming weeks.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com