Daesh (IS) claims responsibility

Afghan capital Kabul witnessed another terror attack Monday morning when eleven army soldiers were killed and at least 16 others were wounded. The terrorists targeted Marshal Fahim Military University. Kabul police chief Basir Mujahid confirmed the number of casualties.

According to TOLONews channel the clashes between security forces and insurgents lasted for about five hours after a group of five attackers tried to enter the facility.

This is the third major terror attack in Kabul within ten days. Earlier, on January 21,  Hotel Intercontinental came under attack when 22 were killed including 14 foreign nationals. The second attack took place on Saturday in crowded area near old interior ministry building, killing nearly 100 people.

Dawlat Wazir, the spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said that two insurgents blew themselves up, two were killed and a third was arrested.

The two suicide bombers detonated their explosives at the gate.

“Two attackers were detonated his explosive close to the academy and two other were killed by the security forces while the fifth one arrested,” he added.

Aljazeera network quoted presidential spokesperson that the gunmen did not manage to get inside the Marshal Fahim National Defense University.

However, sources in Kabul said that the assault continued at a police station next to military academy.

Source inside the camp said explosions and gunfire could be heard coming from the direction of the entrance of the complex. Security forces have blocked off all roads in the area, a reporter informed from ground zero.
The Daesh (IS) terror group has claimed responsibility for the attack through its website Amaq. Earlier two attacks were conducted by Taliban.

Meanwhile, Abdullah Fahimi, lecturer at Abu Rayhan University in Kabul, told Al Jazeera that Kabul has seen a sharp increase of attacks by armed groups in the past two winters.

“This comes in response to the aggressive strategy followed by the Afghan government as well as the US government, which slapped sanctions on six members of Taliban and the Haqqani Network,” Fahimi said.

Marshal Fahim Military University, Kabul had witnessed a major terror attack in October last year when fifteen cadets were killed when the bus they were traveling in was targeted by suicide bomber.