The 5th and final Test match between England and India was called off on Friday due to fear of more Covid-19 cases in the Indian camp. India head coach Ravi Shastri was the first member to be found Covid positive.
Earlier this week, bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach R. Sridhar were also found Covid-19 positive. The RT-PCR report of junior physio Yogesh Parmar was enough to cancel the final Test match, which came in yesterday and was found to be positive.
Two hours before the match, the England Cricket Board confirmed that the match has been called off as the Indian team were not able to field their side for the Test, hinting that the match had been forfeited. But the Board was reviewing its statements after the BCCI put its foot down over the claims of forfeiture.
After the ECB decided to term it a cancellation, former English captain Michael Vaughan said he was disappointed with the way the series has been cancelled. Vaughan said India have let England Cricket down. He added that England had also let South Africa Cricket down, with reference to the South Africa-England ODI series in 2020. The England team had refused to play a single ODI in the 3-match series with and returned home.
Ex Aussie cricketer Shane Warne also tweeted about the shame that such a good and riveting series had to end like this.
Former English captain Nasser Hussain said, “It would have been nice to complete the series, after both the teams have been following bio-bubble and all the Covid protocols, it’s a real shame that it has ended on such a low note.”
India still leads the series 2-1. Both the boards have decided to postpone the match and schedule it in the future to complete the series as the series is still incomplete.
As per reports, ECB are set to lose about Rs 200 crore due to the cancellation of the final Test match. The game could have been rescheduled 1 or 2 days later but players have to leave for the UAE for the remaining leg of the Indian Premier League.