Ending speculations of US-Iran meeting, Iranian Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has rejected media reports of a possible meeting between Iranian and American officials on the sidelines of the upcoming UN General Assembly.
According to Tehran based Tasnim news agency, responding to a question about the likelihood of such an encounter in New York, Zarif told that there would be no meeting. “No. No meeting is expected to take place,” he said.
This is considered to be embarrassment for Washington after President Donlad Trump had recently expressed his readiness to meet Iranian president Hassan Rouhani “any time they want, without pre-condition”.
The 73d United Nations General Assembly will open on 18 September 2018. The first day of high-level General Debate will be held on 25 September and is scheduled to last for nine working days.
World leaders, including US President Donald Trump and his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani will participate and address the world body gatherings in different days.
Iranian foreign minister’s remarks came after days of Trump had effectively threatened Iran in a tweet addressed to President Hassan Rouhani and said, “You will suffer consequences the likes of which few throughout history have ever suffered before.”
Elsewhere in his Saturday comments, Zarif stressed that Iran had already declared its position on Trump’s recent offer of talks.
He further said, “The Americans are not honest. In addition, they are grappling with an addiction, their addiction to sanction will not allow talks.” He denied reports of Oman transferring any message from the Americans to the Iranians.
Separately on Saturday, the top Iranian diplomat took to Twitter to denounce Trump’s latest measures against Turkey. He also urged the US “to rehabilitate its addiction to sanctions” because the international community would otherwise make it do so.
Trump's jubilation in inflicting economic hardship on its NATO ally Turkey is shameful. The US has to rehabilitate its addiction to sanctions & bullying or entire world will unite—beyond verbal condemnations—to force it to. We’ve stood with neighbors before, and will again now.— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) August 11, 2018
Earlier on Friday, Majid Takht-e Ravanchi, a member of the Iranian presidency’s political bureau, told ISNA news agency that he doesn’t see “any reason” for talks between Trump and Rouhani at the 73rd UN General Assembly meeting next month.
He further said, “What expectations could you have from a person who pulls out from international engagement and now says let’s hold talks.”
In early May this year Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew Washington from the 2015 multilateral Iran nuclear deal signed by P5+1(permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany), known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), despite objections from the other signatories to the accord, especially its European allies.
Earlier this week, Trump signed an executive order, re-imposing a first round of sanctions on Iran, which had been lifted under the JCPOA. The second phase of US sanctions will come into effect in November this year.