South Korean movie ‘Parasite’ made history by becoming the first non-English language film to win ‘best picture’ at Oscars academy awards.
The movie ‘Parasite’ was also honoured in three other categories as director Bong Joon Ho bagged the ‘best director’, it also took the ‘original screenplay’ and the ‘international feature film’ awards.
Joker actor Joaquin Phoenix won the ‘best actor’ award for his performance in the dark drama spun out of the Batman franchise.
In his speech, he delivered a message of unity, and spoke about fighting injustice.
“I think at times we feel or are made to feel that we champion different causes. But for me, I see commonality. I think, whether we’re talking about gender inequality or racism or queer rights or indigenous rights or animal rights, we’re talking about the fight against injustice,” Joaquin said.
Renee Zellweger earned the award as the ‘best actor’ for her lead role in the biopic ‘Judy’.
Zellweger celebrated the legacy of Hollywood actress Judy Garland and said, “I am certain that this moment is an extension of the celebration of her legacy that began on our film set and is also representative of the fact that her legacy of unique exceptionalism and inclusivity and generosity of spirit, it transcends any one artistic achievement. Ms. Garland, you are certainly among the heroes who unite and define us and this is certainly for you. I am so grateful.”
Brad Pitt and Laura Dern claimed their Oscars in the supporting actor and actress for “Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood” and “Marriage Story”, respectively.
List of winners:
- Best picture: Parasite
- Best actor: Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
- Best actress: Renee Zellweger (Judy)
- Best supporting actor: Brad Pitt (Once Upon A Time in Hollywood)
- Best supporting actress: Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
- Best director: Bong Joon-ho (Parasite)
- Best original screenplay: Parasite (Bong Joon Ho & Han Jin Won)
- Best animated feature: Toy Story 4
- Best documentary feature: American Factory
- Best international feature: Parasite (South Korea)
- Best original song: (I’m Gonna) Love Me Again -Rocketman (Elton John & Bernie Taupin)
- Best original score: Joker (Hildur Guðnadóttir)
- Best cinematography: 1917 (Roger Deakins)
- Best visual effects: 1917 (Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler & Dominic Tuohy)
- Best film editing: Ford v Ferrari (Michael McCusker & Andrew Buckland)
- Best sound editing: Ford v Ferrari (Donald Sylvester)
- Best sound mixing: 1917 (Mark Taylor & Stuart Wilson)
- Best production design: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (Barbara Ling & Nancy Haigh)
- Best costume design: Little Women (Jacqueline Durran)
- Best make-up and hairstyling: Bombshell (Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan & Vivian Baker)
- Best live action short: The Neighbors’ Window
- Best animated short: Hair Love
- Best documentary short: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl)