The presidential debate, which was supposed be held between President Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden on October 15, has been cancelled. The announcement was made by Commission on Presidential Debates. The commission added in the statement that it will now turn its focus on the final presidential debate to be held on October 22.
Earlier, Trump had denied to participate in a virtual format and had expressed his desire to return to campaign trail and be part of an in-person debate against his opponent Joe Biden. However, the permission was denied for the same as Trump had recently tested positive for coronavirus. Biden had earlier said that he would not debate the US President in person if he still has the virus. His campaign has termed Trump’s decision to not participate in a virtual format as ‘shameful’. Biden’s spokesperson Andrew Bates said that it is shameful that Trump decided to duck the only debate in which voters get to ask questions. He added that his campaign was not surprised with the President’s decision as he does not have the guts to answer people’s questions.
The last debate before the November 3 US presidential election is scheduled to be held on October 22 in Nashville, Tennessee. Debates are an important feature of presidential election in US and three debates are conducted between the two candidates before the polls. Meanwhile, President Donald Trump is all set to hold a live event at the White House, his first since being diagnosed with Covid-19. Extensive precautions will be in place for the event and all attendees will be asked to wear masks. They will also have to go through a Covid screening prior to the event. The screening will include temperature check and a brief questionnaire, a source revealed.