A video of a stray dog nibbling at a dead body in an Uttar Pradesh government hospital has surfaced online on Thursday which has sparked widespread outrage. The shocking incident took place in Uttar Pradesh’s Sambhal district where a girl was brought to the hospital after an accident. It is not clear whether the girl had died before reaching the hospital.
A 20-second video shows a body is lying on a stretcher in an isolated area of the hospital and a stray dog is nibbling at it. The video is widely shared on social media and has sparked a debate on Uttar Pradesh’s government hospital conditions.
The family of the victim has blamed the hospital for negligence. Charan Singh, the father of the girl told news agency ANI the body was left unattended for 1.5 hours. The hospital administration has acknowledged the stray dog problem.
The hospital administration told ANI there was indeed a stray dog problem and the hospital had written to the civic authorities about the same but no action has been taken yet. However, in this case, the Chief Medical Superintendent of the hospital, Dr Sushil Verma claimed the hospital was not to be blamed. He said the body was handed over to the family after formalities. They didn’t want an autopsy and were taking it away. They might have left the body unattended for a minute when the incident happened.
The Samajwadi Party also shared the horrifying video on Twitter and called for strict action against those responsible.
ANI reported the hospital official said after investigation the hospital authorities found out the sweeper and ward boy were responsible. They too had had a lot of bodies to deal with. However, the administration has suspended them. And the hospital has sought an explanation from the doctor that was on emergency duty along with the pharmacist. The hospital has informed a committee to investigate the matter.