Riyadh retaliates to Houthi missile and drone attacks on its soil
Amidst rising retaliatory attacks by Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement on its capital and other areas, Saudi Arabian warplanes have launched seven airstrikes against the Sana’a International airport and al-Dailami air base for targeting a drone hanger late on Wednesday, the Saudi sources said.
The attack came at Sana’a airport after Saudi Arabia announced that it was tightening the siege on Yemen’s air, sea, and land borders, after Yemeni forces, along with the Houthi Ansarullah fighters, launched a missile, a Borkan H2 long-range missile, at Riyadh airport.
In November last, Saudi Arabia had attacked Sana’a airport damaging its ground navigation tower and parts of its runway.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Yemeni drones carried out an airstrike on the Abha International Airport in Saudi Arabia’s south-western Asir region, causing the airport to cancel its flights. Yemeni drones also attacked Saudi oil giant Aramco facility in the nearby Jizan region.
Al-Arabiya on Wednesday quoted authorities in Saudi air defence forces as saying three loud blasts heard in the city earlier in the day were related to the interception of the missiles.
Houthi Ansarullah movement has claimed that its missiles had targeted the Saudi Defense Ministry building in Riyadh, Yemeni TV reported.
However, Saudi authorities have claimed that its defence forces had intercepted Houthi scout drone over Abha airport on the same day that militants fired ballistic missile targeting Riyadh.
Spokesman for the Arab Coalition forces fighting in Yemen, Colonel Turki al-Maliki said that 7:40 am local time, air defence systems were able to detect and unidentified object in the direction of Abha International Airport and was dealt with accordingly.
Yemeni forces regularly target positions inside Saudi Arabia in retaliatory attacks against the Riyadh-led military operation.
The Saudi led coalition began its air campaign against Yemen in March 2015 in support of its friendly government to defeat Houthi Ansarullah movement, which has been running state affairs in the absence of an effective administration.
On March 25, The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights announced in a statement that the Saudi-led war had left 600,000 civilians dead and injured during the past three years.
The UN says that a record 22.2 million people are in need of food aid while 8.4 million people are threatened by severe hunger. UN aid officials have recently warned against the “catastrophic” living conditions and expressed fear of famine and cholera spread in the most improvised country in the region.