The art of taking pictures is celebrated on World Photography Day, observed annually on August 19. The is the worldwide celebration of the art, craft, science and history of photography. The day is the celebration of creativity.
On this day, the photographers come together to celebrate the creativity and nuances of photography that captivates us for years.
Photography, an important medium of storytelling, conveys emotions instantly and sometimes more effectively than words. It is an art of observation through which thousands of memories are captured in a photograph. A photograph has the ability to capture a place, an emotion, an experience, an idea, and a moment in time.
With the rapid advancements in camera technology, it has become one of the primary modes of communication in the digital world. Now almost everyone is a photographer. There is no need to buy expensive cameras to become a photographer, now people have good camera quality smartphones which has made everyone interested in clicking pictures.
History of World Photography Day can be traced back to late 1830s when Louis Daguerre developed the first-ever photographic process by inventing the ‘daguerreotype’. On August 19, 1839, the French Academy of Sciences announced the invention to the world. Therefore, 19 August is celebrated every year is World Photography Day. However, the first durable colour photograph was taken in the year 1861.
Each year, several photography competitions are organised across the world in celebration of this exciting art form. This year, The World Photography Organisation, TechRadar, Air New Zealand and Flickr are organising photography competitions for professionals, for students, the youth, and in the open category. The entries are now open.
On this special day, here are some quotes, wishes and messages that you can share with photography enthusiasts and encourage their talent of capturing moments.
1. One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching. Happy World Photography Day!
2. Indulging in photography is like having a love affair with life. Happy World Photography Day!
3. Photographs never change, even when the people in them do. Happy World Photography Day!
4. A photograph has the power to explain what even words fail to explain. Happy World Photography Day!
5. A photographer is a link which makes the world meet the world using his lens. Happy World Photography Day!
6. “A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it.”- Edward Steichen
7. “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” – Dorothea Lange
8. “What i like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.” Karl Lagerfeld
9. “Photography is all about secrets. The secrets we all have and will never tell.” Kim Edwards
10. “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” Ansel Adams