On the ‘Super Sunday’ in Melbourne, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer made their way into the quarter-final stage of the Australian Open.
Djokovic shrugged off a spirited challenge from Diego Schwartmann of Argentina and beat him in straight sets. On the other hand, Roger Federer took his time to find his groove as he lost the first set but won the next three sets easily.
Milos Raonic, who will meet Djokovic in the quarterfinals, eliminated Marin Cilic in straight sets.
In the women’s draw, the 15-year-old Coco Gauff was defeated by her compatriot Sofia Kenin in an absorbing clash.
Local tennis sensation Ashleigh Barty kept her dreams of winning the home Grand Slam alive as she beat Alison Riske in a three set encounter.
Rafael Nadal will face Australia’s Nick Kyrgios in a high intensity battle.
(2) Novak Djokovic bt. (14) Diego Schwartzman: 6-3, 6-4, 6-4
(3) Roger Federer bt. Marton Fucsovics: 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-2
(32) Milos Raonic bt. Marin Cilic: 6-4, 6-3, 7-5
Tennys Sandgren bt. (12) Fabio Fognini: 7-6 (5), 7-5, 6-7 (2), 6-4
(1) Ashleigh Barty bt. (18) Alison Riske: 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
(7) Petra Kvitova bt. Maria Sakkari: 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-2
(14) Sofia Kenin bt. Coco Gauff: 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-0
Ons Jabeur bt. (27) Wang Qiang: 7-6 (4), 6-1