Ravichandran Ashwin, who truned turns 35 today on Friday, has been one of the finest spinners to have played for India at highest level. He made his debut for Test in 2011 against West Indies taking 9 wickets in that match. Till now he has managed to scalp 413 wickets in only 79 matches for India, including a record 30 five wickets hauls and 7 ten wicket hauls in his Test career. Not only with the ball, but he has managed to score some runs for the team on multiple occasions. With the bat, Ashwin has scored a total of 2,685 runs in 111 innings of 79 matches, scoring 5 centuries and 11 half centuries. Ashwin is the fastest to 400 test wickets in history in terms of the number of innings taken.
As the cricketer turns 35 today, let’s have a look at his five of the best performances in Test:
1. In his debut Test match against West Indies, after 1st innings of the match West indies had the lead against India and it was difficult for India to win form that position. It was Ashwin who turned the tide in favour of India, taking 6 wickets by only giving 47 runs.
2. In 2018, the first match of the Test series against England at Edgbaston in 2018, on a pitch favouring seamers, Ashwin emerged as the lead wicket-taker of the game. His figures were 4/62 in first innings and 3/57 in second innings of the match.
3. Back in 2018, when India toured Australia, team India were able to put 250 runs on the board in first innings. Aussies batting order didn’t have any answers for Ashwin’s carom balls, as he bowled 34 overs and gave just 57 runs by picking three wickets. Taking his performance a bit higher, he bowled 50 overs in second innings and again scalped 3 wickets.
4. Again in 2018, in South Africa at Centurion Test, Ashwin picked four wickets on a pitch where not much for the spinners, and removed set batsmen Dean Elgar and Aiden Markram.
5. Against England in 2021, earlier this year when England toured India, Ashwin showed the world why he has been number world number one spinner over the years. After taking 6 wickets in the first match of the series, he took a total of 8 wickets in the second match at his home ground stadium Chennai.
Ashwin is the only bowler to dismiss former Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakarra in four consecutive innings in 2015 Srilanka-India Test series. Ever since Ashwin made his debut for India in Tests, he has been integral part of the squad.