The Taliban on Monday condemned the US drone strikes in Kabul saying the strikes resulted in civilian casualties. Describing the US action on foriegn soil as unlawful, a Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid told China’s state television CGTN that seven civilians were killed in the drone attack. He said the US should have informed the Taliban before ordering strikes in Kabul.
In a written response to CGTN, Mujahid said if there was any potential threat in Afghanistan, it should have been reported to Taliban, not an arbitrary attack that has resulted in civilian casualties.
However, Pentagon officials said the suicide car bomber had been preparing to attack the airport in Kabul, where U.S. troops were in the final stages of a withdrawal from Afghanistan, on behalf of ISIS-K, a local affiliate of Islamic State that is an enemy of both the West and the Taliban.
Two US military officials called the airstrike a success, saying there were several bombers inside the vehicle. At the same time, military spokesman and US Navy Captain Bill Urban said that the strike was carried out in self defence. The military is investigating whether any civilians were killed in the airstrike, Urban said, adding that the US would be deeply saddened by the possible loss of any innocent people in the attack.
We know that there were substantial and powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties, it said.
Mujahid had issued a similar condemnation of a U.S. drone strike on Saturday that killed two Islamic State militants in the eastern province of Nangarhar. He said two women and a child were wounded in that attack.
In other India news, a 22-year-old woman has been arrested by the Tamil Nadu police after a video of her torturing her two-year-old son went viral on social media